Friday, May 20, 2011

Re-re-adjusting




I have been home one week. Weird.

I never thought that leaving Ladakh and my fellow VISpas would be so hard. I never imagined that "reentering" American society would feel so strange. And I never thought I would miss all of it so much!
The first few days back were really, really hard. After living with a group of nine friends for almost four months I felt so alone. It was so quiet and I didn't always have someone to talk to. Lying in bed the first night back, overwhelmed and jetlagged, I was so confused. It seemed like everything back in little ole RI had changed SO much and yet it all felt way too familiar. I know, in reality, I am the one who has changed but still....its strange.

I feel like everywhere I go I see someone I know. It is nice to see familiar faces. However I am always asked, not very suprisngly, "How was India?!"
And simply, I do not really know how to answer other then "Amazing" or "Incredible." I feel as if I should have some funny or crazy tale to tell but I don't. I think I am still processing it all, trying to reassure myself it was all real and not a dream. It is so hard to summerize my three and half months abroad into such a short time - I feel like I could ramble on and on about my experiences and yet when the time comes, I have nothing to say! Grrrr!

I am not quite over the shock of all the technology we have in America yet. I was making some hot water today....and all I had to do was turn a knob! No fighting with the propane stove and the lighter or working to balance the uneven pot over the flames. It seemed sort of...boring. While the water heated I sat at the counter, reading news online and thinking about the SECMOL kitchen. There I would be talking to Benoy and other students as the water boiled, probably helping to cut up some vegetable or sort through rice or stirring tea. It's just different.


No comments:

Post a Comment