Saturday, February 19, 2011

I. LOVE. MY. LIFE.


I. LOVE. MY. LIFE.

I can’t believe I am so lucky to come on this trip and meet so many amazing people. SECMOL. Is. Amazing.

I am in complete awe of everything – the landscape, the people, the curriculum, and the monumental amount of energy that seems to surge around this campus. Have you ever said “Jullay?” I think it might be the happiest phrase on earth – what else can you practically sing as a hello, goodbye, thank you and just as a word?

I’m surprising myself in my quest to learn Ladakhi. Taking the time to learn the language is providing me with the satisfaction that I am one less foreigner ignoring the culture. Maybe it is an impractical language to learn since there may be no application back home but I can see it breaking a bridge. Every question I ask, every word I say wrong teaches me, not about the culture, but about the person teaching the language to me.

SECMOL is so forward thinking in many aspects that it is hard to remember reality. During English Conversation tonight (2/13) the topic was education systems. We break into small groups of two or three SECMOLpas to one VISpa and work to learn about each culture and language. Although I knew that beatings occur in schools around the world something changes when you are face to face to students your own age who have previously been in schools where hitting is the norm. SECMOL is a model for its methods of learning, emphasizing traditional culture and education.

Students must take 11th grade tests – similar to our SATS or ACTS – but its totally different. Becky and I had a very long conversation about the topic because it is so incredibly different. Although the big people at the top who make these 11th grade tests apparently try to choose questions that will measure the knowledge and understanding of subjects the system is SO corrupt. The “big people” use questions directly from the text book – trying to ensure that topics are covered in school. Teachers teach just to the test – WAY worse then in America. They don’t even teach the subject or even read the book. Instead students must write and rewrite and rewrite the questions and just the answer that will be on the test. Essentially, they go into the test knowing just to recognize the question and the answer – they do not understand the material at all. Becky said that their math portion is similar to ours because you must show work. However, instead of teaching the materiel the teachers find the questions and have the students memorize the steps in between. And guess what? Many students are failing the tests!

SECMOL works to teach the material and create an understanding of the material. Many past SECMOLpas have become teachers and the hope is that they will begin to teach the material and ensure an understanding of the material. When I first started talking to the SECMOLpas I was so confused since a few mentioned that they don’t want to take the tests, they don’t want to go to “school,” they don’t want a higher education. But I am beginning to realize that they really just want to learn. Like learn and really know the material – why else would they be here? I have been amazed at meeting students who have this drive to fulfill this clear passion for learning when so many odds are against them. It’s inspiring.

Currently I am listening to Glee’s “Time of My Life” given to me by my bestie Rae and I feel like I am living the song. So far all of my expectations have been exceeded – I am already dreading the day I leave yet longing to see my family and friends – if only I could have the “best of both words.”

1 comment:

  1. Wow Taylor...we are in awe of you. We are so happy you are enjoying every minute of this incredible experience. We are touched each time we read about your journey.

    Love, Laura and Mike

    ReplyDelete