Saturday, February 5, 2011

Update from India

We have done so much that I don’t even know how to put it into words! I have tried to keep a list of activities on my iTouch so I can remember it all and I have been really good about journaling (is that a word?).

Our first night we drove in Delhi, which was one of the most exciting things I've ever done! You have to trust the driver because the roads here are crazy. There are no rules except to get to where you are going. If you lay on the horn you let people you know that you are passing. Despite all the craziness no one gets into accidents! It is sosososo different then driving in the U.S. but its very cool!

After a few hours of sleep in Delhi (we arrived at like 2 am and had to catch a train at 5 am) we had to repack to fit enough stuff for a week and a half in our backpacks! Eeeekkk! I left almost everything at the hotel, which is locked and safe.

That morning we arrived in Haridwar, which is one of the seven holiest places in India because of its location on the Ganges. It was our first taste of India (literally), which had really good food! We also got bombarded with tourists taking photos of us too! We then continued traveling to Rishikish. It is also located on the Ganges. That night we went to a ceremony on the river, which was really cool. We had to cross the river on this really high, kind of scary bridge. I'm really learning that I have to trust that if it works for other people it will also work for me!
The next morning we left and drove up the river to a camp. It was our first experience with high cliffs and the roads. Once again I had to trust the driver and the road - and guess what?! I was fine :) haha

The camp on the river was STUNNING! That night we crossed another bridge to hike to the villages on the other side. It was so cool to see. More on that later (I only have a little more time and sooooo much to say! Gahh). We rafted the next morning, which was super fun! We also got to "fall" in and swim in the Holy Ganges, which is considered really lucky. I did jump off the raft but not for long because the river was pretty gross and nasty. I don’t even want to think about what was in there! Gross!

We are now at the monastery for a few more days. It is so incredibly beautiful here. We have official classes. For English, which is first in the morning, we meet on the library roof and read a book out loud. It’s so cool. We stop occasionally to watch the green parrots that fly around us or just to look at the pretty views or to hear the monks chanting. Our second class is Buddhism, which is taught by the wisest monk. Everyone is in a trance as we hold onto his every word. The entire religion is so interesting and is more of a way of life then anything else....

I reallllllllllllllllly need to go now but I promise to write again sooon! I have sooo much to say and so little time. I can’t wait to have the lapotop so i can type what I need to say before i get to the cafe.




4 comments:

  1. Taylor, it is so great to read your updates on your blog and learn about all of the wonderful things you are doing. It is fun to see the photos too. We are very proud of you! Love, Laura and Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just downloaded the Blogger app on my Android cell so I can carry you and your Blog with me every day! Love, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,T,
    I'm just getting to catch up with your blog now! I'm so glad you are having such an amazing time. I have also heard Buddhism described as more of a way of life than a religion. I think in theory, every religion would be lived as a way of life, but they are not always embraced that way.

    I think your blogs are well written! I've also known the feeling of not having adequate words for an experience, especially when traveling! Some experiences are too dynamic for the limits of language or the lens of a camera, but you will always hold them in your heart and share them with the people there with you!

    With love,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Journaling is a word! :)

    ReplyDelete