Friday, February 25, 2011




Once again I am at a loss of words to describe this past week. How can I possibly describe dinner at SECMOL, my science class, washing my hair or helping cook breakfast in one blog post when each moment could probably write a paper by itself?

One of my favorite times of the day is right after dinner when announcements and speeches (all in Ladakhi) have commenced. Sometimes the small school shop opens up and I will splurge on a little chocolate for a few cents, its plastic texture making me long for an American dessert. But what I love most is living completely in the moment with the SECMOLpas and just goofing off. D.K. Chosegyen, a boy I don’t know and several VISpas always end up fighting and teasing each other. D.K. and I get into “nunba” or “crazy” fights where we try to call each other the most crazy in our respective languages. It tends to involve a lot of hat stealing, scarf strangling and wrestling on the rugs. I never expected that I would loose myself so completely in a moment – be so focused on just the moment. I expected to question myself, make friends and grow as a person but I never thought I would come half way around the world to be so…childish.

On Thursday we spent the morning summiting our first “Himalayan Peak,” SECMOL mountain. Compared to its surrounding siblings it is a rolling hill, a baby at an estimated 13,000 feet (estimation made by Tashi). Running down the stairs still leaves me out of breath, my body still struggling with the altitude adjustment, so climbing, sometimes crawling upwards, felt insane. But when I reached the top everything is worth it. The 360 views were “nunba” and I could see Kardongla pass, the world’s highest motor able pass, and ____, the snow leopard capital of the world. Prayer flags rippled at the top, mirroring my own excitement. These mountains have been here for an approximate fifty million years (thanks Holly & Environmental Science) and have seen the change. They lie witness to the change of earth, society and life and I am somehow lucky enough to be standing in their presence.

“Home” feels like a million miles away, a distant dream and it sort of scares me and it sort of makes me happy. I am totally okay with having “home” be a dream…. Because what is “home?” Attachment is mentioned so warily in Buddhism (thanks Nate & Ladakh Then and Now) but I still wonder if I am lesser of a person for not having that deep connection to a place, person or idea. I have been asked several times by Ladakhis “What is your religion?” and I feel so estranged when I have no choice to respond, “I don’t know yet.” I have no desire to find some great belief or religion to follow but that scares me at times too. I am glad that I am dependent on myself but am I missing some great part of life? Because, for the most part, I love my life.

Love from Ladakh,

Taylor


3 comments:

  1. Fab photos, Taylor. Everyone can tell that you love your life - your words are vibrant; and you may well have your own religion! You certainly know what you believe in - and that says a lot!

    Take care, keep posting!

    AM
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, again, T,

    I agree with AnneMarie. Knowing what you believe in, life having meaning and purpose-- that, I think, is the point of religion--that when times are tough, you have faith in something, even if that something is 'simply' your perspective on life. Sounds to me like you aren't really missing anything, maybe you just don't have a name for it? At any rate, even for people who grow up with one religion, going through a period of exploration and questioning is a normal and healthy stage of development. Your mom's and my progam read some good books on religion if you are interested when you get back.
    All the pictures are wonderful--I especially love the children! I also love the image of reading on the roof!

    Much love,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you're missing anything!

    ReplyDelete